Saturday, October 1, 2011

Lesson I Learned with Soba Noodles

One of my family's favorite meals that I make is homemade chicken noodle soup.  It's not that difficult- I use Organic Better Than Bouillon (Reduced Sodium) Chicken Base, 2 1/2 quarts of water, carrots, onions, celery, chicken breast, and seasoning salt, and Country Pasta (a yummy egg noodle). 

I realize that some might think these ingredients are too processed, but one step at a time, right?  I have these in my cupboard & I'm going to use them up.  Anyway, earlier in the week I decided to make this soup for my family, with a few adjustments for my diet.  I started off with Kirkland Organic Chicken Stock, and added the vegetables & chicken as normal. 

When the veggies were tender I took enough for me out of the pot & put them in a bowl.  In a separate pan I boiled some Buckwheat Soba Noodles to add to my soup, while in the main pot I added more water and some of the OBTB Chicken Base.  When it came back to a boil I added the Country pasta to their pot, while I added the soba noodles to my bowl when they were tender.  We ate together as a family, basically eating the same meal.  It was great!

Now, fast forward to Thursday.  I had arranged a small luncheon for a few ladies in my home, and I decided to make the soup again since it worked so well before.  I thought it would be nice that I wouldn't vary that much from what they were eating, so it wouldn't draw attention to myself. 

This time I decided to save a step, and instead of boiling the soba noodles in a separate pot, I threw them in with my chicken broth & veggies, just like I do with the Country Pasta.  Well, instead of cooking up nicely, it turned into a grey, gloppy mess. 



I have no idea why the chicken stock & veggies caused such a reaction!  What a change!  And no, I didn't throw it out!  Are you kidding?  This one small pack of Soba Noodles cost a fortune!  My kids said it looks like I'm eating prison food.  Yuuuuummmm.  Lesson learned:  Cook Buckwheat Soba Noodles in water.


No comments:

Post a Comment