Monday, March 12, 2012

Perpetual Chicken Broth

I keep thinking about doing more with nourishing bone broths again.  They sound really good to me, all the time. On the other hand, I have those feelings of being overwhelmed and put it off because it's a lot of work to make broths all the time.

I just read a post on www.nourishedkitchen.com about "Perpetual Chicken Broth" where she has chicken broth simmering in the crock pot the non-stop.  She uses one chicken a week, and continually refills the pot with water as she uses up the broth.  She's feeding fewer people, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to follow the same process serving 7.  I'm going to give it a try, though.  I just happened to start my big crock pot with some chicken broth yesterday.  We had chicken for Sunday dinner, and then I used the carcass for the broth.

They estimate the cost of the electricity for using the crockpot about $1.68 - $5.04 a week, which is a great deal when you consider how much broth you would get from this system.  She estimates that they would each get a quart of broth a day.

UPDATE:  So I did the perpetual chicken broth, but by the end of 5 days it was getting brown, like it was burnt.  I think that I didn't use enough of the broth each day to prevent that from happening.  If I do it again, I'll make sure to remove at least 2-3 quarts of broth every day to see if that doesn't happen.  Everything I made with the broth was amazing, though.  It was a good food week at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment