Saturday, October 15, 2011

Stevia Review & Comparison

Before I started this diet two months ago I had heard of stevia, but had only tried in once years ago.  I didn't like the taste, and I hadn't tried it since.  I've used Splenda quite a lot, until about a year ago, when I heard somewhere that sugar was better for you than Splenda and I quit buying it.

When I changed my diet in August I started doing lots of research, and everything I read said that stevia was the way to go.  In Natalia Rose's Detox for Women, she recommends NuNaturals Pure Liquid stevia.  I went to a health food store where I lived & they didn't have NuNaturals, so I bought Sweet Leaf stevia.  I tried it on my favorite buckwheat cereal, and it was yucky, just like I remembered.

Later that week I was able to buy some NuNaturals at a different store, and it was WAY better.  It doesn't have a strange after taste to it.   I decided to save the NuNaturals for me, and then use the other for my family (who didn't know any better).  The first time I tried it on them, though, they hated it, too.  Oh well. 

So I recommend NuNaturals Alcohol Free Stevia.  I've used the liquid and the powder, and they are both good.  I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Sweet Leaf stevia?  I give 1 out of 5 stars.  I tried the regular flavor, but they have a variety you can choose from, i.e. vanilla, root beer, maple, chocolate, etc.

2 comments:

  1. They sell stevia plant starts in some of the mail order catalogs, but they are sweetleaf stevia plants...I didn't know there was a difference... Anyway, you could grow your own! :)It always looks like a house plant when I see it in the catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Interesting. I hadn't even heard of eating it this way. I'm hoping to start growing my own herbs this spring, and this will be on my list!

    ReplyDelete