Saturday, October 29, 2011

Intro to GAPS diet- Day 4

I wasn't going to post about Day 4, because it's all pretty standard now.  I'm eating lots of boiled meats, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, and butternut squash.  But I just remembered the soup I ate last night, and it was really good, so I've got to post about it  (& I'll do another post for Day 5).

The soup from last night is  Meatball and Broccoli Soup (SOURCE).  I made a few changes to it that were really good.

On Thursday I made some fish broth by boiling a whole tilapia for 8 hours.  I could only find a farmed whole fish at the store, so I hope I'm not doing more damage than good.


 I took the fish out, salvaged what meat I could (it was a tiny amount for how big a fish it was- a few bites worth), and then strained the broth into some quart jars.  When Jimmy saw this he asked if I even felt one tiny inkling that this was a bit.... weird.  I just smiled.

For the beef/broccoli soup I used 2 quarts of beef broth, 1 quart of water, and 1 cup of fish broth.  I added about a pound of broccoli, and ten meatballs, and let it simmer for about a half hour.  I removed the meatballs, added a couple cloves of garlic, and then blended it nice & smooth.  It was a lovely green color- reminded me of split pea soup.  When dishing it up I added back the meatballs, and sprinkled it with salt and pepper. 

It was so good!  The fish broth gave it an interesting tang, but not too strong.  Jimmy didn't even guess the fish broth was in it.  I give this soup 5 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment