Wednesday, October 12, 2011

New Meal Plan with the Fam

Well, overall the new GAPS meal plan is going pretty well.  I met a little more resistance from the kids than I thought I would, but I have to remind myself that change is always difficult, especially when it comes to food.

Monday was my shopping and prep day, so we didn't officially start this until Tuesday.  But I did make a family night treat from my meal plan.  It was Sesame Seed Candy, and I think it turned out really good.  Surprising to me, the kids didn't really get into it.  Even Jimmy said he thought it tasted weird at first, but then the flavor grew on him.  We'll definitely try this again.  I think that they'll like it better next time.  It's really easy to make.

Sesame Seed Candy

1 1/2 cups hulled sesame seeds
1/2 cups honey
1/4 tsp Real salt

Grease a cookie sheet with coconut oil.

Toast the sesame seed in a stainless steel skillet over med-high heat, until golden & fragrant.  Stir every 20-30 seconds, more at the end.

Add honey, and continue on med high heat until the mixture thickens, another 3-5 minutes.  Pour onto the greased cookie sheet and allow to cool for a minute.  Score with a knife into bit sized pieces and allow to cool another 10 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.  Break apart bite sized pieces and allow to harden, or roll into balls.  Store covered in the fridge.

I'm still supposed to be off of sugar, but I'll admit I did have some of these.  I figure I'll add in some healthy snacks here & there.  My next doctor's appointment is in November, they'll be testing my blood again then.  If it shows that my candida levels haven't gone down much, then that will be a kick in the pants and show me that I need to be strict with myself for the long haul.

On Tuesday our menu was:

Breakfast
Scrambled Eggs with Vegetables (vegetables means lots of onions & then chunks of avocado on top.  They weren't so sure about all the onions...)

Lunch
Large green salad, with Egg Salad on the side. (The kids are still eating school lunch.  I told them I'd make school lunch to send with them, but they haven't taken me up on that yet :)

Dinner
Meatloaf (healthy version not on the diet, but wanted to use up from my freezer.  I also had some separate for me that are gluten-free).
Green Salad, topped w/cucumbers & tomatoes.

Snack/sweets:  Crackers (Mary's Gone Crackers from Costco), or left over sesame candy

Here is today's menu:

Breakfast
Pumpkin Coconut Flour Waffles (They LOVED this!  I made the batter the night before, so this morning was smooth sailing as I got everything ready).

Lunch
Green Salad + Garlic-Spinach Artichoke Dip & veggies (This dip turned out SO good!  It's very basic: mayo, spinach, garlic, artichoke hearts, Parmesan cheese.  Yum!)

Dinner
Roasted Pepper Soup, Baked Stuffed Eggplant, and Deviled Eggs (Now THIS will be the test!  I think they'll be picking around at this.  I'm excited to try it, though).

Snack
Trail Mix (Includes: "Crispy" walnuts- you soak them over night, then dehydrate them in the oven all day at the lowest temperature.  They become extra crispy- yummy!;  banana chips- I'm dehydrating some right now.  We'll see if they're ready by this afternoon... I might have to make some lara bars and save this mix for another day; coconut flakes).

1 comment:

  1. I think you are doing awesome. I asked Shane if he was ready to transition into this type of eating and he looked like a scared animal. I told him he could say "no." He said no. :) I still think it's kind of interesting because it's very similar to how we were eating before I got pregnant, but I think the stress of things makes him want comfort food and he doesn't view this as comfort food...plus, it IS more expensive to eat this way. *sigh* baby steps right? :)

    ReplyDelete