Friday, October 14, 2011

Remember the Yogurt?

I've had a little adventure making yogurt this week (HERE and HERE), and thought that the yogurt I made was a failure. 

All sorts of things went wrong while I was making it: 
*I brought the milk to a boil, which you're not supposed to. 
*I couldn't stay up late enough to let the yogurt cool down enough (it was taking FOREVER), so I waited until morning, and it had cooled off completely.  I turned on the burner & warmed it back up. 
*When I was done mixing everything up I put the jars of milk/yogurt into a cooler, which was supposed to keep it warm.  When I checked on them later, they felt like room temperature, which is a bit chilly lately.

So with all that happening, I thought for sure it was a failure.  Well, the day after my last post about it I got the jars out to clean up, and lo and behold, the milk had thickened up!  It looked like yogurt!

I wasn't sure if it would be safe to eat, but i put the jars in the fridge to chill.  I really wanted to try it, but decided to wait for a time that would be alright if I got sick or something.  Last night I tried it.  I put 4-5 drops of stevia in it, mixed it up, and ate it.  YUUUUMMMMY!  It was so good.  It was not quite as thick as yogurts at the store, but I've read they often add things to those anyway to thicken them up.  This was delicious, and no, I didn't get sick.  I ate some more this morning, this time adding cinnamon to it, and it was even better!  So, yea!  I'm glad I didn't throw it out.  I'll still use a heating pad next time instead of the cooler, but now I know the cooler worked & I can compare the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment