Friday, September 16, 2011

In Mourning Tonight

Yes, I'm being a bit melodramatic about being in mourning.  But it just hit me.  Tears.  I won't be running my race tomorrow. 

I  signed up for the Top of Utah Marathon, and was really excited to be working on getting a sub-4 hr marathon.  I created a training plan on Runner's World.com that told me how fast to train each time, and it was much different than how I trained for my first marathon in May.  I was staying right on track (even with the speed workouts!), and then my stupid appendicitis hit on the 4th of July. 

I was planning to get back on track after 4-weeks off, but then I met with a different doctor & found out about my candida issues (which I'm sure had something to do with the appendicitis!).  I knew that it was time to take care of the problem, and in doing that I would have to cut out most carbs, which are a main source of fueling when you're running long distances.  I knew that I'd have to cut back my distances, and that my running would be affected. 

Right now I'm in "maintain" mode, where I'm doing Monday/Wed/Friday/Saturday:  4 miles/4 miles/4 miles/6 miles, because I don't want to lose my running base.  At first even that amount was terrible, but it's starting to feel better.  It's such a high for me to be outside running in the crisp morning air.  I LOVE fall running!

I thought I had come to terms with my running situation, but I just read a Facebook post from a friend who is running the TOU tomorrow.  I wished her luck, and then she wrote back and said she wished I was there.  That little comment made the tears come.  Man, I love to run.  I wish I was there, too.  Hopefully next year I'll have my body in order and I'll be lighter, stronger, and faster, running my next marathon.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment