Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Regroup, and Back at it!

Halloween threw me off a little bit.  A lot, actually.  It was go-go-go from 5:00 am until my head hit the pillow at 11:30 pm.  Or was it midnight?  I can't remember.   I'm still trying to catch up on regular household chores, because it was such a whirlwind on Monday.

I did my grocery shopping and stocked up on a lot of what I'll need for the month (plus some.  I might have enough meat now for TWO).  Good thing Costco has those big flat carts- A regular cart wouldn't have cut it. 

I have one more month of my Grainless Meals subscription, so I'm still going to follow that for my family.  Today we're having a lovely surprise... liver in the meatloaf!  Shhhhhh.... don't tell them.  I'm going to see if they even notice, because it will be mixed in with the ground beef.  They didn't notice the chicken liver that I put in the chili a few weeks ago. 

I have to say, though, that preparing the liver is DISGUSTING.  Chicken liver wasn't so bad, but beef liver....  I was gagging as I was cutting it (1/2 a pound covered with a cup of water & the juice of one lemon, to soak over-night).  And I'm supposed to eat it?  I keep reading how great it is for you, and even read that some people EAT IT RAW, to get the full benefits (after freezing it for 14 days to kill any bad things in it).  I think that it's time that I write a post about the great benefits of eating liver, so that I can get motivated (kind of like the detox bath post).

This morning I made cranberry scones from a recipe from HealthHomeHappy.com grainless meals menu plan. 

Cranberry Scones

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups almond flour (I made my own)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 eggs
4 tbsp honey
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (I used fresh)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease a baking sheet with butter or coconut oil (I used parchment paper).  In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and honey.  [I completely skipped over this step.  I just threw it in all together, and it was fine.]  Combine wet and dry ingredients.  Fold in the berries.  Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes [I made mine bigger, so they took more like 20 minutes].



I know they don't look like much, but they tasted really good!  You can't see it very well in the picture, but the cranberries turned a bright pink, and I thought the tangy sourness matched the sweet honey taste very well.  On the down side, my kids didn't eat them very well.  I think they just need to get used to them, and I'll make them again.  I also don't like the heaviness I have in my stomach now.  I like it when I have fresh juice or a soup that leaves me feeling lighter and refreshed.  I give this recipe 3 1/2 stars out of five.


Projects I'm working on today: 

Pumpkin seeds- I saved all the seeds from our jack-o-lanterns, soaked them in salt water, laid them out to dry overnight, and I'm going to roast them all day in my 170 degree oven (the lowest it will go).



There are quite a few there, so I'm going to make sure to stir them often.  I didn't have room for another pan.

Crispy Nuts-  I soaked three pounds of walnuts last night in some salt water, and am baking them along with the pumpkin seeds.  Normally they would be ready by tonight, but we'll see how much longer it takes having them in at the same time as the seeds.



Roasting two chickens (then broth tomorrow)

Making two quarts of yogurt (ready for tomorrow)

Making sauerkraut (if there is enough time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment