Thursday, March 14, 2013

Wow! I can Actually Post? Unfrozen.

I haven't posted for a very long time because for some reason my account was blocked.  I have no idea why, and tried for a month to get it figured out, with no luck.  Then life goes on, and out of sight, out of mind. 

It's hard to believe it's been 8 months since I got sick with Campylobacter, and then got Guillaine-Barre Syndrome.  (See my last entry).  I've been symptom free since December, and am still trying to regain the strength that I lost.  I was at such a good place physically before my illness, then BOOM.  Crash.  I experienced some humble pie and was brought pretty much to 0 (0 being an inactive person, 10 being very fit and active).

I was nervous to push my exercise too hard, knowing that my nerves were repairing.  I had read that you could damage other muscle cells by over compensating with the nerves that could actually fire.  Now I feel I'm pretty much back to normal, but have to get the motivation to get back at it.  I have been able to start running again, but have been keeping it very simple over the winter, running 3 times a week, 3-6 miles each time.  I'm ready to push it to 4 days a week, but running is a lot harder now because I've gained back the weight that I had lost.  I started drinking pasteurized milk again, and while in the hospital I had some sugar, and it was downhill from there.  I still mostly avoid wheat, but do eat bread occasionally. 

I guess I need to change my blog title.  Maybe to "Jan Moderation in All Things", or "The Lord is really the one in Charge, Even if You Think You Can Control Your Life".  After being sick I got really angry at the whole "holistic nutrition" world.  Some told me that there was "no way it could've been the milk".  That I was just being "the victim", and that I should toughen up.  Seriously?  Here they get mad at all things government , and act like we're being duped and scammed, but then they treat people who question their thoughts the same way!  I still prefer a whole foods diet, but  take everything I read with a grain of salt.  People get so worked up about things.  But really, there are more pressing matters in this world, and I've decided food is one matter I will do with moderation.  I love being healthy, and still do some of the things I've written about in my blog, but I'm not going to go crazy over it, and let it over power my life.  I'm grateful to my Heavenly Father for letting have this experience, to be humbled, and see that there are more important things in life to put my energy toward.


1 comment:

  1. I actually wondered why you hadn't written any follow ups. Now I know! :) I am glad you are doing so much better.

    ReplyDelete