Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hey, Mikey! He likes it!

I've been working really hard to transition my family into this new whole foods lifestyle.  I started eating different in August 2011, but was the only one.  It was hard to make their meal, and then make a different meal for myself afterwards.  My kids constantly expressed their condolences to me, for having to suffer through the way I was eating.  I tried to explain to them that I didn't feel deprived (for the most part), but they couldn't fathom that.

Then in about November, a miracle:  Jimmy (my husband) decided that he needed to make a change, and wanted to start eating the way that I was.  I have to admit that even though that made me so happy, it made me nervous about how we could afford to have our biggest eater eating all of the healthy things I was (At that point I was freaking out about how much our food budget had increased).

Then over time, I decided that I simply didn't have the time to make two meals, and decided that our kids would have to eat what we were (at least 85% of the time anyway).  They've resisted some, but the last few weeks have been very rewarding...  I'm finding recipes they LOVE that are super healthy.  Wa-hoo!

Last night we had Quick & Easy Gluten-free Mac and Cheese, and EVERYONE wanted seconds.  The sauce has raw milk, steamed cauliflower, nutritional yeast, raw cashews, lemon juice, minced garlic, and other seasonings, blended into a smooth sauce in my Vitamix blender.  I served the sauce over brown rice noodles:  Delicious!

Here's a list of some of our favorite recipes from the last few months.  (Recipes can be found by clicking the links).

1.  Crispy Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts, etc.   
2.  Chicken "zoodle" Soup
3.  Overnight Oats
4.  Quick Easy Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese
5.  Moist and Cakey Almond Flour Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment