Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Few Dollars Saved

I'm certainly not writing as much as I need to.  Maybe I'll start to write short daily entries and not avoid it because I'm worried about it taking too much time.  I am making some progress on saving money, though.  Here are a few ways that I've been able to save money over the last month:

WalMart price matching. 
I had heard of this, but didn't realize I could take advantage of it where I live.  Our WalMart is only a few months old, and I thought we could only price match products from the other couple of groceries in my area.  A few weeks ago I found out they'll match the prices of stores within 30 minutes of us, so that opens the door wide open to great deals!  I just go to my favorite $ saving site, www.pinchingyourpennies.com, and I can print out lists of all the best deals on everything.  This is especially awesome for produce, meat, and produce, which you don't often find coupons for.

Truthfully, I'll still try and support my little-guy stores when possible.  But I have to cut costs somehow, and this is one of the way.  I saved about $40 on my last grocery visit over what I would have spent elsewhere.

Honeyville Grain
I bought some bulk blanched almond flour from Honeyville Grain.com, and I LOVE IT.  It's so good. 
I bought 25 pounds, and split the order with a friend.  They were having a site-wide 20% off promotion, so we each paid about $50 for 12 1/2 pounds, or $4/pound.

Amazon.com
In December I splurged and bought a Prime membership for Amazon.com.  I LOVE shopping on Amazon.  I find it odd that the prices change around so much, but sometimes you can get really good deals on things.  I LOVE that I can order it from home, and then in TWO DAYS there it is on my door step.  This is such a time saver, especially since I don't have good selection where I live and what is here is usually marked up in price!.

Another thing that has helped:  I was more strict with my Dave Ramsey envelope system in January, and plan to keep doing so.  A few other projects I have in the works:  making my own laundry soap & packing my kids' school lunches!  Organization- that's the name of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment